There are few things as perfect as a good chocolate chip cookie. Luckily, my mom's chocolate chip cookies have been perfected through the years of trial and error. Now, it's something that I can make in my sleep. These cookies have seen me through break-ups, rejections, and failures. They've also seen me through laughter, joy, and success. They are my go to recommendation when anyone asks what should I bake today, and they never disappoint.
Plus, these cookies can please the crunchy vs chewy crowds in a single batch of dough. See, I find the recipe can produce two very distinct cookies. If you like a little thinner cookie that has a slightly crunchy edge and chewier center, bake these at 375F. But, if you want a fluffier cookie (like the one's pictured below) that is still chewy, bake them at 400F. The slight change in temperature allows for less spread and forces the the cookie to, for lack of a better term, set.
Also, I love to use this dough recipe as a base for other cookies. I love to fold in nuts and butterscotch chips!
Freezing your chocolate chip cookies
Oh, and be warned, when we make chocolate chip cookies. We make chocolate chip cookies. This will produce over 4 dozen good sized cookies. They freeze wonderfully (if they last that long). If you want less, I recommend cutting the recipe in half or quarters.
If you don't want to bake this recipe in one go, you can also roll the dough out into balls and freeze them in smaller portions. When you are craving a cookie, you can pull dough balls out the night before, place in the fridge to defrost, and then bake as normal!
I hope you enjoy my mom's chocolate chip cookies as much as I have over the years--Love and butter, Kristi
Mom's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups AP flour
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 32 oz milk chocolate chips
- 4 oz dark chocolate bar roughly chopped
- ¼ cup flaky salt optional
- Cream together butter and sugar and vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time, and beat on medium speed for 3-5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add dry ingredients until just mixed. Fold in chocolate chips and place the dough in an air tight container. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Scoop onto a cookie mat, leaving about two inches between each cookie. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Let cool on the pan for 2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack for five minutes. Chop up your chocolate bar and place a few small shards in each piece. Leave to melt while the cookie finishes cooling. Top with flaky salt and enjoy!