Not a huge fan of hot drinks, one of my fall favorites is an apple cider old fashioned. It incorporates all the great flavors of fall in a cool, crisp cocktail that I can't stop coming back to.
ingredients you'll need
- Apple Cider: The heart of this drink, you'll need to find an apple cider that is full of spicy, apple flavor to help balance out the whiskey.
- Whiskey: You can use whiskey or bourbon for this recipe. Try to find a brand that has under notes on caramel to pair with the spices in the apple cider.
- Orange Bitters//Triple Sec: Because there is so much sugar in the apple cider, adding a bitters will help balance the drink. Pairing it with an orange bitter will complement the flavors already present while allowing the citrus to brighten up the cocktail. I also like to use Triple Sec. It still brightens up the drink without adding too much sweetness.
how to make the perfect, fall cocktail
While my baking recipes can get a bit complicated, I like to keep my cocktail recipes pretty simple. You'll never find me making a drink that takes more than a minute or two to prepare. You'll also rarely see me reaching for a cocktail shaker. This drink was made on the rocks, but if you prefer to drink your whiskey cocktails straight, feel free to make this in a shaker to cool down the mixture first!
- In a rocks glass, add ice about half way up the glass.
- Pour over three ounces of apple cider, one ounce of whiskey, and half an ounce of Triple Sec (or a few dashes of orange bitters).
- Stir until condensation forms on the outside of the glass, indicating the liquid has cooled.
- Garnish with an apple slice and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!
tips and tricks for a balanced apple cider old fashioned
What if I want to use hot apple cider?
A traditional Old Fashioned is a cold drink, but I believe rules are meant to be broken when it comes to cocktails. If you want to make this into a spiked cider, please, go ahead! You really can't go wrong with whiskey and apple cider.
What if the drink is too strong?
An ounce of liquor is pretty common in most mixed drinks, and it can actually lean on the conservative side. If you aren't a whiskey drinker so this comes off really strong to you, double your amount of apple cider while keeping the liquor amount the same.
What's the best way to customize this to my taste?
The best way to do this is choosing a whiskey that you enjoy! You can also try mixing up different liquors with the cocktail. Rum also pairs well with apple cider!
Apple Cider Old Fashioned
- 3 oz apple cider
- 1 oz whiskey
- ½ oz Triple Sec (or a few dashed of oranges bitters)
- Pour the ingredients over ice.
- Stir until condensation forms on the glass, indicating the liquid has cooled.